Monday, May 23, 2011

It's ok to say no

Well I've had a busy last couple weeks. The camping trip was fun. It wasn't quite what I had expected, but I still enjoyed myself. My family came down to celebrate my birthday and to bring me cupcakes. As you can see in the previous post, they didn't arrive in the organized state as they had left my parents house. Either way, we scarfed them down anyway. You can't really go wrong with Betty Crocker. On the last night, it rained. That was interesting. Thankfully we put the tarp on. It was a bit messy cleaning up the next day, but at least it wasn't actually pouring at the time. I didn't get washed away!!

Seeing as how May is almost over, summer's just around the corner. Hot weather isn't really on its way. I live in San Francisco after all. Our summer comes in October when it's hot for a few days. Either way, summer is pretty action packed with birthdays, holiday weekends and I'm planning on trying to make it out to a few craft fairs to meet other folks and of course, buy fun stuff.

There are times when I feel like I'm so busy. Eating out, working out on certain days, going here, going there, party here ... you get the idea. In other words, feel like a chicken running around with its head cut off not knowing where you're going and where you're coming from. Well guess what? It's ok to say no. Seriously.

In a culture like ours where people are working 40+ hrs a week, juggling families and a personal life and then some, it's so easy to burn out real fast. So say no. The world won't end if you say no and generally most people will be ok with it. If not, it's their problem. Put yourself first once in a while because it's not fun being tired and stressed. Don't feel bad about giving yourself some much needed TLC. I feel bad at times, but I also know that I need to take care of myself, others can wait. Plus, people tend to be much more pleasant to be around when they're relaxed and happy, right?

Go for a walk, read a book, go get a massage or take a nap! Or better yet if you can, do a weekend getaway. Give yourself permission to relax, however that may be. Learn to let go. I'm learning and it's hard. But those time you do, when you take time to stop for a bit, it's nice. It's really, really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment