Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Etsy Shop Spotlight: The Painted Peep Show

I had the honor of getting to do an interview with Blake of The Painted Peep Show. He's a fellow EtsyGreetings Team member and makes pretty awesome cards. He has a great selection of cards to help you get set for the holidays that are just around the corner. Check out what he had to say!

Tell us a little about yourself, who's the guy behind The Painted Peep Show?

Me. I do everything. At least, it feels that way sometimes. I work in marketing by day, and Illustration by night. Hobbies take up the rest of my time, so there isn't much lounging about, but I wouldn't have it any other way.


Get Well Soon


How did you come up with your shop name?

It needed to be something that was attention-getting, and I thought The Painted Peep Show sounded a bit scandalous. The majority of my cards take a voyeuristic approach, but not in a sleazy way. For example, my "Naughty or Nice" holiday cards show children breaking all the cardinal rules of Christmas.

Take us through a typical day for you.

Wake up. Shower. Breakfast. Etsy. Work. Lunch. Etsy. Work. Home. Etsy. Dinner. Wine. Etsy. (and that's just Monday)


Running Dachshunds


You describe your work as "sweet enough to be featured in a children's book, but have a humor dark enough for the older crowd to enjoy." Does a majority of your art have a dark side to it, or is it quite different?

I'd say I'm pretty consistent. I love a narrative, so most of my cards tell a story, or allow the viewer to make up their own. I love children's books and Halloween, so I blend those together and pepper with my tongue-in-cheek (aka, dry) humor. Occasionally, you'll come across a pretty landscape, or some other sweet imagery. Oh, and dogs!

What inspires and motivates you?

HALLOWEEN! Children's books. Folktales. Dogs. Campy movies and t.v.


Trick or Treat Boys


How did you come across Etsy? What motivated you to sell your cards online?

When the economy crumbled a couple of years ago, I was laid off from my job (which I hated) and my sister suggested I look into Etsy. It kept me in a schedule and motivated me while I was looking for full-time work.

Do you have any favorite Etsy shops?

Of course! But, they change on a daily basis. I love seeing what my peers are doing in the Etsy Greetings Team, as well as other Savannah College of Art & Design alumni (Scad on Etsy team).

What have you learned about yourself since you started selling on Etsy?

Like they say, you are your own worst critic! I had to ditch the self-doubt, get out of my comfort zone, and pursue my goals.

What's your creative space look like? Do you have a designated room to do your work or are you like me and work off the dining room table?

I live in a little Brooklyn apartment parallel to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (it's nicer than it sounds...I swear). I work from my dining room table (like you) and count my blessings that I'm not stuck in traffic on the other side of the glass!


A Christmas Story - Ralphie


Where else can we find you and your work?

Every year I do the artwork for Sooner Golden Retriever Rescue (this year's theme is Goldens in Wonderland, based on Alice...) and that's coming up in October. It's possible that my holiday cards MIGHT be featured in an HGTV Christmas show this winter. And, ShopSCAD in Savannah, GA has just started carrying my cards. Most of all, I hope to work on a children's book soon!

7 comments:

  1. Love Blake's cards, specially the Christmas Story pink bunny! Classic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blake's illustrations are so wonderful - he has a knack for capturing the moment, and I love the sense of humour in all his work. Thanks for posting the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love his cards <3
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable! I hear you on the Etsy thing...I have a shop and when you are trying to get it to grow you put a lot of time in it...plus if you want a profit you have to do the work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you did this interview! I'm a fan of Blake's illustrations too--love their sweet edginess; if there is such a thing, he's got it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview and I love Painted Peep Show even more.....thanks to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! So nice to read a little more about my teammates. Good luck Blake!

    ReplyDelete