Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas

I've been meaning post about my first Christmas tree, but I'm just now getting around to it. I've lived in my current apartment for the last 5 years or so and never got around to getting my own Christmas tree. I finally got one for $20 at a local grocery store near where my parents live. I lugged the tree in the truck of their car and drove it back up to San Francisco so I could decorate it.



For those of you who don't know, I'm pretty obsessed with penguins. I'm not sure when it started or why, but I love penguins. They're cute, they waddle, they look cuddly, and they look handsome all the time. People have gifted me penguin ornaments over the last several years and I've put some up on my parents tree every year. This year though I decided to use then on my own tree.



My aunt had some bulbs that were from my grandma from years and years ago so I put those up. They've seen better days, but in a way, it's a nice little remembrance of my grandma since it's our first Christmas without her. The strings of lights were kinda popping out since half the strand went out. My little tree I think has 3 strings of lights on it because I couldn't' be bothered to properly disconnect the bad string with a new string. Then the new string I put on, half the strand went out so I couldn't win. Oh well!



So my little penguin Christmas tree sits nice and happy, even if I'm not spending Christmas at my apartment.



I spent yesterday baking snicker doodles, chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal cookies for our giveaways. Then this morning woke up at 10am (I was so tired from baking the night before) to bake a batch of sugar cookies. I came over to my parents house to eat some tamales and sit on my butt for a while. My niece and nephew were heading over and they were looking forward to baking with my mom, so while they did that I helped my mom do some wrapping so she didn't have to spend all night wrapping.

The cookies are all set out for Santa and I'm sure the kids are ready to doze off any minute now. It's time to get ready for bed and wake up to open gifts with the family. May you all have a very nice, healthy Christmas wherever you spend it and who you spend it with. And for my Jewish readers and friends, may you all have a Happy Hanukkah!

2 comments:

  1. Your tree is very sweet. It's nice to start traditions of your own and especially nice to use your Grandma's lights. Thanks for the Hanukkah wishes on my blog - those latkes were good :)

    ReplyDelete